meals & fitness for this week – don’t mind if i do show you.
- sunday: crossfit + lazy bones lounge-around
- monday: 360spin
- tuesday: crossfit
- wednesday: OFF
- thursday: crossfit
- friday: crossfit or 360spin (haven’t decided yet – we’ll see how i’m feeling)
- saturday: OFF – possibly going to open gym to work on shoulder mobility
after all it’s approximately 109 days until i hunt for my future husband...
this week when i went food shopping i didn’t buy any new meat
wait. i lied. i did buy some frozen organic grass-fed beef from trader joe’s – but i put it in my freezer right away when i got home and i’ll take it out this week or next week when i’m in the mood
anyways i went through my freezer to see what proteins i had on hand – usually i’m awful and i’ll buy something new every weekend – instead of just taking ‘meat inventory’ and using what i have on hand
i just suck at thinking that much in advance to realize i should take out the protein in time to defrost & cook it on sunday.
i was good this week – probably because i was such a lazy pants on saturday that i had nothing else to do but remember to take out frozen proteins.
i took out chicken & ground turkey
this week it looks like we’ve got the following cooking up
- chicken marinated in tessamae’s zesty ranch
- bacon & basil turkey meatloaf (recipe below) with cumin spiced carrot fries (practical paleo)
- quick & easy salmon or tuna patties with steamed broccoli
and snacks to have on hand – green apples, nuts (i’m on a major pistachio kick), microwaved sweet potatoes, sliced cucumbers, and of course i always have a jar of almond butter in my desk at work.
and without further ado – i bring to you bum bum bum
bacon & basil turkey meatloaf (serves 5-6 – or less or more)
- 1.25lb lean ground turkey (93/7)
- 2 slices of nitrate free bacon – diced (i used trader joe’s uncured bacon)
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1 egg
- 2T tomato paste (separate tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 cups broccoli slaw
- 1/4 cup chopped mushrooms (or mixed vegetables – peppers, carrots, etc)
- coconut oil for sautéing
- seasonings: chili powder, oregano, salt & pepper
preheat the oven to 375
heat some coconut oil in a frying pan – when it gets all glittery add your bacon, 1/4 cup of the basil and mushrooms – allow it to sauté for about 3 minutes – then add in your broccoli slaw and let that sauté together for a few minutes – when they’ve become wilted & fragrant add a tablespoon of tomato paste and stir to combine everything – let it cook for another 2 minutes and put to the side.
in a separate bowl combine the ground turkey, almond meal, egg, seasonings, remaining tomato paste, remaining chopped basil and then your bacon/basil/vegetable mix.
stir to combine – but don’t over mix!
spread the mixture in a loaf pan and cook at 375 for about 35 minutes. i like mine a little crispy on top so i broil for an additional 5 minutes at 550.
cool, cut & DEVOUR.
SO deliciously bacony & yummy.
it’s ridiculous when paired with homemade bbq sauce on roasted broccoli! i used this recipe for the homemade bbq sauce
i’m off to catch up on my dvr & munch on a tart and delicious granny smith!
love to love you <3